Today is the commemoration of St. Blase, a relatively famous commemoration due to the blessing of throats which occurs on this day. Blase is one of the 14 “Holy Helpers” that hold special place (completely unofficially) in the Church’s tradition as being special intercessors for various illnesses. They are:
1. Achatius – against headaches
2. Barbara – against fever and sudden death
3. Blaise – against ills of the throat
4. Catherine of Alexandria – against sudden death
5. Christopher – Against plagues and sudden death
6. Cyriacus – against temptations, especially at the time of death
7. Denis – against headaches
8. Erasmus – against abdominal maladies and for
protection of domestic animals.
9. Eustachius – against family trouble
10. George – for protection of domestic animals
11. Giles – against plagues and for a good confession
12. Margaret of Antioch – for safe childbirth
13. Pantaleon – for physicians and for protection of domestic animals
14. Vitus – against epilepsy and for protection of domestic animals.
Might as well throw up a prayer through one of these intercessors next time one of these maladies comes upon you (especially the tricky malady of “sudden death”!).